I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

VEGAN ÉPINARDS BLANCHIS

[Blanched, Chopped Spinach - Preliminary Cooking]


...First of all - I got my water boiling...

...I had gotten a bag of organic Baby Spinach as we came through GF on our way back from Omaha...

...1 1/2 tsp salt per quart - YIKES! - that seems like a lot - Julia often surprises me with her liberal use of salt - so I'm going with just 1 teaspoon here...

...wash your spinach - even though it says pre-washed...


...the water's boiling...

...drop spinach by handfuls into the boiling water...


...boil slowly uncovered for 2 minutes...

...have a kettle full of cold water...

...Julia has elaborate instructions on how to drain the spinach - but as soon as it's drained (a two handed job for sure) you want to plunge it into the cold water - colander and all - this will preserve the colour...

...it is a very pretty bright green...

...then you squeeze a small amount at a time to extract as much water as possible...

...chop on a cutting board with a large knife...

...Julia also says to save the last drops squeezed out for soup...

That's the end of the preliminary cooking - Julia also says not to cook spinach in iron or aluminum as it quickly picks up an astringent and metallic taste.

Substitutions: None

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 468-469

No comments:

Post a Comment