I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

VEGAN BIFTECK HACHÉ À LA LYONNAISE

[Ground Beef with Onions and Herbs]


I was surprised that there was a Ground Beef recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking...but Julia even says...Shock is the reaction of some Americans we have encountered who learn that real French people living in France eat hamburgers...funny...

...so, first I needed to make some 'ground beef' - I've used some of Bryanna's recipes for burgers before and we really like them - but I have a friend who is gluten intolerant so I wanted to try a gluten free burger - and I found Sarena's Blog the Non-Dairy Queen and her recipe for Bean Balls...

....I cooked some lentils and quinoa in vegetable broth...

...about an hour until all the liquid was absorbed...

...From Julia's recipe I minced up some onion...

...and cooked for about 10 minutes until very tender but not browned...

...then from Sarena's recipe - some oats...

...I gave those a whirl in the food processor...

...then I added the onions, salt, pepper, thyme, softened Earth Balance, and a vegan egg (flax seed goo) - to the quinoa and lentil mixture...

...then the oats and mixed it all together...I guess my fingers were too messy for a photograph - I don't know why I don't have a picture of the mixture...

...spread some flour on a plate...

...form your patties and roll them lightly in the flour and shake off the excess...

...put some butter and oil in a pan and sauté the patties...

...until they are golden brown...

...Julia says to pour 1/2 cup of stock into the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan...

...she says you can use white wine - so I used some of both...

...arrange the burgers on a platter and pour the hot sauce over...

...these were so good - just the right amount of crispness on the outside and just the right amount of juiciness on the inside...the thyme I think just somehow makes them very French...we loved them...and I'm looking forward to a couple more of the Bifteck Haché recipes...

Since this was a hodge-podge of a recipe I'm posting exactly what I did for the burgers:

VEGAN BIFTECK HACHÉ

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (make sure you rinse quinoa really well!)
1 cup uncooked lentils (rinsed and drained)
4 cups water or vegetable broth

Cook quinoa and lentils for about 1 hour until all liquid is absorbed.

Process 2 cups of organic oats in the food processor into a coarse meal.

then add:

1/4 cup flax seed goo
2 Tbs. softened Earth Balance
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp thyme
2 cups ground oats - measured before processing.

Mix well with your hands and form into patties.
Coat patties lightly with flour and sauté in 1 Tbs of oil and 1 Tbs of Earth Balance

Substitutions:
see recipe above for the burger recipe
Earth Balance for Butter
vegan bouillon for the stock

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 301-302

3 comments:

  1. NICE! I'm always looking for new veggie-burger recipe (because yeah we eat hamburgers :)
    How cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I made these and they were amazing!! Thanks for the recipe and this lovely blog, I love it and read it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paloma,

      Thanks for stopping by The Vegan Version...and for reminding me that I need to make these again...

      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete