I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, October 3, 2011

VEGAN HARICOTS VERTS GRATINÉS, À LA MORNAY

[Green Beans Gratinéed with Cheese Sauce]

...well...it's time once again for...

...my first few posts will be me trying to use up the rest of our garden produce...we've had a lovely mild fall so far...no snow yet anyway...I think this will be the last of the green beans from this year's garden though...I've got a few more peas to use up too before I move on to more interesting things...not that these green beans weren't interesting and delicious...because they definitely were...they were easy to make and drew heavily on other recipes already accomplished...

...First you do HARICOTS VERTS BLANCHIS...
...then you make a Vegan Sauce Mornay...

...next...you spread a layer of Sauce Mornay in dish...arrange your blanched green beans over that...and pour the rest of the Sauce Mornay on top...sprinkle with cheese and dot with Earth Balance...

...a half hour before serving...bake until green beans are well heated and the sauce is lightly browned...

...Julia says that this is a good make ahead recipe...

...as with the other creamed green bean recipes this one is very good...perhaps a smidgen better because of the addition of the cheese...or Sheese...as the case may be...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter
Soymilk for the milk
Sheese for the cheese

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 446

No comments:

Post a Comment