I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Friday, October 21, 2011

Vegan Galettes au Roquefort

[Roquefort Cheese Biscuits]


...we were tying quilts at Church and so we needed a little 'lunch'...as they call it up here...and I wanted to make these crispy little biscuits for a snack...

...I made the same tofu roquefort that I made for the VEGAN AMUSE-GUEULE AU ROQUEFORT...

...you mash the 'cheese' with some Earth Balance...and egg - I used flax seed goo for the egg...

...and some cream...I used soymilk mixed with soymilk powder...

...then you knead in the flour...

...it looks pretty much like biscuit dough at this point...

...form it into a ball...

...wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm...

...roll it out 1/4 inch thick and cut into rounds...

...Julia doesn't specify about greasing the baking sheet...I did not...as I don't usually do that with biscuits...

...brush with tops flax seed goo...

...Julia says this dough may also be used as a pastry dough for tarts and turnovers...I bet that'd be good...

...bake until lightly puffed and browned...

...cool on a rack and then put them in a pretty dish...

...these were so crisp and flaky...they reminded me of cheese straws...but also sort of like a cookie...I'm also thinking these would be perfect for holiday gatherings a little bit later in the year...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for Butter.
Soymilk mixed with soymilk powder for the cream.
Flax seed goo for the egg.

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 197-198

3 comments:

  1. I love and miss biscuits! These look delicious! I need to experiment and come up with a GF vegan biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! I made some biscuits a few days ago, but I am always up for some new vegan tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of this blog - I gave you some love over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete