I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

VEGAN NAVETS À L'ÉTUVÉE

[Turnips Braised in Butter]



...We've pulled up everything out of the garden...and there were a LOT of turnips...so I'll probably be breezing through all of Julia's turnip recipes soon...turnips keep well...so I may save some for holiday dinners too...

...turnips fresh from the garden...washed...

...peeled and quartered...cute pinkie shot...funny...

...turnips with homemade vegetable stock...Julia says you can use broth or water...

...blanch the turnips in water...

...then drain and place in a pot with Earth Balance and enough liquid barely to cover...season lightly...

...cover and boil for 20-30 minutes until they are tender but retain their shape...

...If all of the liquid has not evaporated...uncover and boil it off...

...correct seasoning and serve...

...what can I say about this...I love turnips...and these were simply delicious...the boiled off cooking liquid forms a sweet buttery coating for the turnips and they were delicious...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 486-487

2 comments:

  1. We don't know what to do with turnips so we throw them in soup or put them in our salad. We get them most weeks at the farmers market. This is a great idea and gives us a new option! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! Turnips are so cheap - I've been looking for new recipes to add to the rotation!

    ReplyDelete