I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Friday, October 14, 2011

VEGAN SOLE À LA DIEPOISE

[Tofu Fish Filets with Mussels and Shrimp]


...it's been quite a while since I've done anything from the Fish chapter...so I'm going to do two back to back...

...first you poach the tofu filets in white wine like we did for the VEGAN FILETS DE (Tofu) POISSON POCHÉS AU VIN BLANC...and as I learned from that recipe that the nori can be quite a strong flavor...

...this time I cooked the nori a little bit first in the white wine and then strained it before adding it to the tofu filets...

...I arranged the poached filets in a lightly buttered (with Earth Balance) dish...six of them...three for this recipe and three for the variation with mushrooms...I figured we'd each eat 2 filets and it'd be nice to try a little bit different variation while we were at it...(recipe for that one to come)...

...then make the sauce...add some flour to melted Earth Balance...

....cook slowly for a couple of minutes...

...off heat...add the cooking liquid from the filets...

...then add some soymilk...

...and flax seed goo egg yolks...in the recipe Julia has you add some of the hot liquid to the yolks...but that won't be necessary with flax seed goo...so I just dumped it right in...

...return to the boil and cook for 1 minute...add some salt pepper and lemon juice...

...arrange the filets and the shellfish (I used the vegi scallops) on a platter...

...cook your vegan shrimp in some Earth Balance for a few minutes...

...then spoon the sauce over the fish and shellfish...

...decorate with sliced truffles...

...and the vegan shrimp...

...and serve immediately...

...this was good and creamy...I didn't care too much for the vegan shrimp...but that's just me...I'm not too much of one for the meat analogs anyway...

...and this would be a pretty and fancy sort of company dish...and this was the first time in my life that I've ever eaten truffles...they're very good...and definitely rich and earthy tasting...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter
Soymilk for the milk
Cedar Lake Vegi-Scallops for the shellfish
Vegan shrimp for the shrimp which I got online at VegeCyber

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 214-215

1 comment:

  1. Thinking back to my meat eating days almost 18 years ago, I could never imagine eating this with fish and shrimp. Your vegan version sounds delicious though. I love tofu fillets and I like faux shrimp.

    ReplyDelete