I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vegan Pois Frais en Braisage

[Buttered Peas III - for large, rather tough, fresh green peas]



...Julia says that this recipe is for large, mature, end-of-season peas...exactly what we have here...

...Julia says to squeeze the peas with your hands rather roughly to bruise them slightly...that seems really odd to me...but of course I did what she said...

...you're supposed to have Boston Lettuce...but they never have that at the grocery store here...and I was very lucky to find this heirloom variety...so I picked out the Boston lettuce bits...

...and shredded those...

...added them to the pot with the onions...a little sugar...salt and Earth Balance...

...bring to a boil - cover and cook for an astonishing 20-30 minutes...

...checking after the first 20 minutes for tender peas...mine of course were tender by then...probably before then...

...then over moderately high heat boil off all the liquid...

...Julia often has you do this to vegetables...they are rarely cooked and drained and I must say that the concentrated flavors of the boiled away cooking water add a lot of depth to the dish...

...place in a heated vegetable dish and serve at once...

...another delicious pea dish...I'm also getting used to cooked lettuce...which I had never had before starting this project...

...one more pea recipe tomorrow...and then I'm all out of fresh peas for this year...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 464-465

1 comment:

  1. yum!! i love fresh peas....but i usually only cook mine for 3-4 minutes!! just until they are bright, bright green....and i have NEVER cooked lettuce!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete