I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

VEGAN SOUPE DE POISSON

[Vegan Strained Fish Soup]

...Julia says the Soupe de Poisson has the same flavor as bouillabaisse, but it is strained and has past or potatoes cooked in to give it a slight liason...she says to use tiny Mediterranean fish or clam juice...so of course I used Sushi Nori to give it the fishy flavor...
...you start with onions cooked in olive oil until tender but not browned...as usual...
...stir in some water...
...some garlic and spices along with some orange peel...I used my tea ball...but I could have just thrown them in because this soup is strained anyway...
...then you stir in tomatoes...or tomato paste which is what I used...
...then for a little bit of thickening (liaison) you can either add some pasta or a potato...since I was going to make the Rouille as well...I used the potato...
...then you add your fish substitute...I used a full sheet of Sushi Nori...
...she says to add 2 big pinches of saffron...I used the whole little bottle...it probably wasn't two big pinches worth...but it was all I had...more than one pinch...but less than two...
...cook uncovered 30-40 minutes...
...take out the potato...we'll use that for the Rouille...
...and strain the soup...
...it's just a lovely clear soup...
...ladle it into bowls...
...add a dollop of peppery Rouille...
...stir it in and enjoy...

...this was really good...actually much better than I expected...I didn't think that I would like this fishy soup...but it really has a lot of flavor...

Substitutions:

Sushi Nori for the fish

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking
pp. 50-51

2 comments:

  1. I dislike fish soup but non fish fish soup sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another perfect meal for chilly days! love, k

    ReplyDelete