I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

VEGAN GNOCCHI DE POMMES DE TERRE

[Potato Gnocchi]

...first...you'll need to make some VEGAN PÂTE À CHOUX...and have that ready and warm...
...boil some potatoes in salted water and run them through a ricer...I used the smallest blade in my ricer...I didn't get a good photo of my ricer...but it's like the one here...I like it a lot...it has little grooves at the end to fit over the edge of the bowl or pot for stability...
...then you dry the potatoes by stirring them over heat until a film forms on the bottom of the pot...
...stir in the warm pâte à choux
...then you can start forming your gnocchi...Julia makes hers huge...2 1/2 inches long by one inch in diameter...and they double in size as they cook...so hers are going to be huge...I didn't make mine that big...
...slip the formed gnocchi into simmering water...
...watch the temperature carefully and keep the water below the boil...or your gnocchi may disentegrate...
...just keep making and cooking your gnocchi...the recipe makes a lot...
...drain them on a towel...(scrupulously clean of course)...
...I used some of mine to make the Gnocchi Gratinées au Fromage...and packaged and froze the rest for later...

Substitutions:

None really for this recipe...but you'll need the cream, egg and butter substitutes for the pâte à choux

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking
pp. 181-182

1 comment:

  1. interesting! gnocchi has never been a favorite of mine but this looks good!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete