I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

VEGAN FOIE DE VEAU

...Since I wasn't all that happy with the chops that I used for the previous two Foie de Veau recipes- I decided to try and make my own Foie - mind you - I have absolutely no idea what liver actually tastes like - but, I started out with Tracy's Compassionate Breast recipe...

...instead of the liquid in her recipe I used red wine - and I added black walnuts and black olives - for the unctious/rich/oily/iron-y taste/texture that I've read about - I've come to the conclusion that it's awfully hard to describe what something tastes like...

...mix the wet ingredients with the dry...

...cover and let sit for an hour...

...pat into liver shaped patties - wrap in foil...

...and bake in a 250⁰ oven for about 1 1/2 hours...the preliminary tasting was really good - very rich and chewy...

Vegan Liver

In a blender, add:

6 oz silken firm tofu
¾ cup red wine
2 Tbsp chopped black walnuts
2 tsp chopped black olives
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 ½ Tbsp vegan chicken bouillon
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt

~Blend well~

In a large bowl, add:
½ cup soy flour
1 ¼ cup gluten flour

Pour the blended mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well, and then knead briefly into a ball. Cover and let sit for one hour. Then pat into liver shaped patties - wrap in aluminum foil and bake

2 comments: