I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Thursday, November 18, 2010

VEGAN PÂTE BRISÉE

[Short Paste, Pastry Dough, Pie Crust]


...this recipe calls for stick butter (so I got some Willow Run out of the freezer) and shortening...

...add a little salt...

...blend it with a pastry fork...

...Julia does this with her fingers - but since she has told us to work as quickly as possible so that the butter (Willow Run) doesn't melt - I figure the less I have my hot little hands in the dough the better...it should resemble oatmeal flakes...

...add a little bit of iced water...

...then the next step is the fraîsage - this is the final blending of fat and flour...

...roll it into a ball and wrap it up and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour...

...again, Julia warns us to work quickly when we're rolling to avoid melting the butter (Willow Run)...

...I like a nice thin crust...you can almost see the letters on the pastry board through the crust...

...roll it up on your rolling pin...

...and unroll it over your quiche pan...

...press lightly into the bottom of the pan - this one won't be baked before the filling goes in...

Substitutions: Willow Run for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 139-146 - yep it's a long one...

No comments:

Post a Comment