I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Vegan Fumet de Poisson au Vin Blanc

[Vegan White-wine Fish Stock]

Julia says "this produces a fine, well-flavored fish stock to be used as the basis of a fish veloute sauce"...but I'm making this recipe in prepartion for a recipe I intend to make this weekend...HOMARD À L’AMÉRICAINE...
...so I gathered my ingredients...I'm subbing Nori sheets for all of the fish...and Julia says to only use the stems of the parsley as the leaves will discolour the sauce...not sure if that will really make any difference for me...as I'm using Nori sheets which will probably discolour the sauce more than parsely...but...we'll see...what could happen?...haha...
...so...basically the instructions are to put everything in a pot...
...so I just poured in the lemon juice and the wine...
...added some salt...
...and simmered everything...uncovered...for about 30 minutes...
...and then strain through a fine sieve...
...I'll store it in the fridge for just a few days...I'm sure it will be fine until the weekend...but Julia gives these odd instructions..."If refrigerated, boil it up every 2 days to keep it from spoiling"...mine...of course doesn't have any fish in it...so I don't think I'll bother with the 2 extra 'boilings'...

Substitutions

Nori Sheets for all of the fish...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 114-115

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised it's not darker colored. Can't wait to see what you do with the lobster dish! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the perks of non-meat cooking, like you not having to worry about the re-boiling or like re-using marinade because it only had raw tofu in it instead of chicken or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      ...you're right...a lot of great things about vegan cooking...
      ~Have a lovley day!

      Delete
  3. Can you recommend a vegan wine? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete