I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Vegan Tournedos Rossini

[Vegan Filet Steaks with Vegan Foie Gras, Truffles, and Madeira Sauce]

...Julia says "tournedos Rossini takes the filet steak about as far as it can go"...also she uses artichoke bottoms instead of the more traditional canape...but those are just not commonly available here...so I used the crouton...and also...about the truffles...I actually have a black truffle in my fridge...but I don't like truffle...at all...so I'm not using that either...

...there are a lot of steps here...but Julia's right...the result is pretty spectacular...
...so...I started by making the Vegan Foie Gras...
...I basically used the same Liver Pate method that I've used before...but I added some firm tofu this time...
...and just put it into a bowl to set up...as I need to put a slice on top of each tournedo...
...then I melted some vegan butter...
...took the filets out of the marinade...patted them dry...
...and sauteed them until nicely browned...
...then made the sauce in the same pan...I also strained and added some of the marinade...
...then just assembled everything...crouton first...
...top that with the filet...
...and then slice the vegan foie gras...
...and lay a slice on top of each filet...
...then spoon over the sauce...
...artistically...haha...
...and then you're supposed to garnish with truffle slices...but I used mushroom instead as I don't like truffle...it's a very pretty dish...
...we served it with baked potato and a salad...naturally...
...and it was a really delicious combination of flavors...

Substitutions:
...vegan butter for sauteeing...
...vegan steak...we used Tracy's filet recipe...
...vegan pate...we used walnuts, tofu, wine and mushrooms...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 299-301

No comments:

Post a Comment