I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

VEGAN BOEUF MODE EN GELÉE

[Vegan Cold Braised Beef in Aspic]

...one of the things I was playing around with in last weeks Vegan Gelée...was how much agar agar to add to a broth to have it set...because I remember the VEGAN OEUFS EN GELEE seemed a little to set...and I wanted a little bit 'looser' or more jiggly set to the Vegan Gelée...not sure I quite managed it though...
...start by braising some carrots and onions in some vegan beef stock or bouillon...and then add them to whatever dish you'll be using for your mold...I thought these little glass cups would be pretty...
...and I'm just using Gardein's Beefless Tips for the vegan roast here...easie peasie...
...so I just 'artfully' placed a few in the dish...
...and poured over the Vegan Gelée...
...and let it set up in the fridge...
...it makes a pretty dish for a luncheon...very 60s...haha...
...and it still turned out a little too firm...it seems to be really difficult to acheive that jiggly 'jello' consistency with agar...
...it's a little bit odd to my palate...texture-wise...it tastes just fine...I think I'm just not a fan of cold vegan beef...

Substitutions

Gardein's Beefless Tips
Vegan Gelée

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 556-557

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That's quite the dish, eh, Julia?! Oh, Teresa I wish you could see the look on my face while reading. Jellied...cold beef...yeah nothing about that sounds appealing to me. (though your little cups make it look pretty) Again, you're so brave. ;) The beef was arranged very artfully indeed--and you gave me a good laugh. Thanks for sharing your veganized French Cooking experiments with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      ...haha...yeah...it's a weird dish for sure...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. Yeah,I’m with you, cold beef just doesn’t sound at all appetizing. I guess there’s a reason these type dishes aren’t in vogue anymore! Love K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...weren't the 60s just the coolest...haha...
      Love,
      T

      Delete