I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Vegan Clarification du Bouillon...Vegan Gelée

[Clarification of Vegan Stock and Homemade Vegan Jellied Stock]

Julia says that a rich homemade Consommé should be beautifully clear and sparkling...and I was prepared to stir in some of my Just Egg as the clarifying agent...but my stock was already perfectly clear...haha...

...I only remember ever having Consommé once in my life...at my Auntie D's house...I think it was a 'thing' in the 60s though...and pretty sure it's not anymore...
...I started with some veggie scraps...mushrooms, carrots, and onion...and a couple of vegan bouillon cubes...
...boiled that for a while...Julia gives rather gruesome descriptions of the 'parts' of the dead animals that will produce a jellied stock...
...I strained my stock...and see...it's perfectly clear...so I did not stir in any 'egg white' substitutes...
...after her grisly descriptions of jelly producing parts...Julia describes how to use commercial gelatins for the same effect...so I put my clear stock back in the pot...
...and added some Agar Agar powder...1/2 teaspoon for 2 cups of broth...and just boiled that for about 5 minutes or so...
...it makes a very pretty clear soup...
...with a lot more 'body' than a simple broth...
...Vegan Consommés have to be served piping hot...
...because they as they cool down they will start to gel...

...I liked the Vegan Gelée served this way...it makes a nice starter...

Substitutions

Button Mushrooms, carrots, onions, and vegan bouillon

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 111-114

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I've never made a consumme. I guess I would just pull out a bouillon cube, haha. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...yeah...it'd be simpler for sure...but this 'soup' does have a nice 'texture'...
      Love,
      T

      Delete