I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

VEGAN MOUSSE À L'ORANGE

[Vegan Orange Mousse - a Frozen Dessert]

...Julia says "a becoming way to serve this delicate mousse is in the scooped-out halves of oranges"...
...the first thing I did was to scoop out my orange halves...I needed the orange part for the juice in the recipe anyway...
...and instead of sugar...I'm going to use a few drops of this Valencia Orange Stevia...and instead of egg yolks I'm using tofu...
...so I put those ingredients into the Vitamix with some cornstarch and lemon juice...and with the additional orange flavor of the stevia...I'm omitting the liqueur...
...put it into a saucepan and cook until thickened...Julia gives specific instructions for 170 F...but that's for the egg yolks...
...I just cooked it until it was thickened...like a nice sauce or gravy...
...then I got the aquafaba out of the freezer...and started whipping that...I did this twice...once with some cream of tartar added for the egg whites...and then again with some sugar added for the whipped cream...
...gently fold in the egg whites/aquafaba...
...folding from the outside in...
...and then again with the whipped cream/aquafaba...
...the same procedure...
...and then spoon it into your orange halves...or just use cups or ramekins if you want...I popped the halves into ramekins because I wanted to make sure they didn't tip over in the freezer...
...cover and freeze several hours or overnight...
...pop them out of the ramekins or leave them in...
...this dessert reminded me a lot of orange sherbet...only fluffy...it's creamy and sweet...very delicious...

...and this version is practically fat free...

Substitutions

silken tofu for the egg yolks
aquafaba for both the whipping cream and the egg whites


Recipe here: Scribd and then search for Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 603 - 604)

...go to Scribd and search for the book...it shows up under documents...and once you open that file you should be able to search for the page number listed in the recipe...

1 comment:

  1. looks yummy. i used to get lemon ice cream of some kind at Arcadia dairy....long gone now.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete