I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 551/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Vegan Rognons de Veau à la Bordelaise

[Vegan Kidneys in Red Wine Sauce with Marrow]

...for the Vegan Kidneys...I used the mushroom/walnut idea from this recipe Vegan Farce aux Rognons...and made that into a paste and added it to the veal seitan recipe...VEGAN ESCALOPES DE VEAU À LA CRÈME...it actually had a wonderful texture...
...so I cut that into chunks and sautéed it in Earth Balance...
...then removed it to a casserole...
...and covered it...
...cut up some green onion...just a couple of tablespoons...and I'm still using my cut up almond milk cartons...they work perfectly for this...and then I can still rinse them and put them in the recycle bin...our county recycles all kinds of tetra packs...you just have to remove the little plastic spout...
...sauté the onions for a minut...
...then add the red wine...
...then the herbs...a big pinch of thyme and ground bayleaf...
...then add some vegan broth with some arrowroot powder mixed in...
...cook for a few minutes until thickened...
...add the vegan kidney back to the pan...keep it at a low simmer...
...for the vegan marrow...I'm using some of this Gardein Be'f...
...and some dried shitake mushrooms...
...ground together in a mortar and pestle...
...add that to the simmering sauce...
...Julia suggests serving with peas and potatoes...
...so we did...
...and it was really really good...the sauce makes the dish...

Substitutions

Earth Balance for butter
Vegan Veal Seitan with Vegan Kidney (ground walnuts and mushrooms) added...
Vegan beef flavored broth
Gardein Be'f and Shitake mushrooms for the marrow

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 419-420)

No comments:

Post a Comment