I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

VEGAN ESCALOPES DE VEAU À LA CRÈME

[Vegan Sautéed Veal Scallops with Mushrooms and Cream]

Julia says this is the 'perfect recipe for a chic little luncheon'...which I thought was so cute...I mean...who has chic little luncheons anymore...haha...

...so...the first thing we needed was some vegan veal...and...not being sure that I'd ever had veal or knew what it would be like...I set about making a tender...slightly sweet...seitan-y cutlet...
Vegan Veal Cutlets

Dry Ingredients:

1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup besan (chickpea flour)

Wet Ingredients:

1/2 cup water
1 packet of Washington's Broth...but I'm sure you can use any vegan bouillon that you like...
1 Tbls ketchup
1 Tbls soy sauce

Mix dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients...and shape into 4 patties...
...add some vegan butter and some oil to a pan...
...when the foaming has subsided...
...add three or four cutlets to the pan...
...Julia says not to crowd them...and to cook until lightly browned...
...remove to a dish...
...in the same pan...
...add some shallots or green onions...I just used regular yellow onion...because that's what I had...
...Julia says in a separate skillet cook your mushrooms...just vegan butter salt and pepper...
...then deglaze your pan with some white wine...
...I think this is the first time that Julia has specified Arrowroot powder for a recipe...
...you mix that with your vegan cream...I just used homemade almond milk...extra creamy...
...and then you pour the starch and cream mixture into the onion cooking pan...
...cook for several minutes until thickened and reduced slightly...
...add the cooked mushrooms...
...and simmer for about a minute...
...Julia says to add the vegan veal cutlets back to the sauce several minutes before serving so that they are heated through...I left them on top like this because I thought it looked prettier...and just served them from the skillet...
...I sautéed some spinach to go with the meal...
...and served with stewed potatoes and spinach...
...it was a delicious creamy dinner...and not as much trouble as I thought it would be...it actually came together pretty quickly...

Substitutions

Almond Milk for the cream
Earth Balance for butter
Vegan Veal Cutlets for the veal...recipe above...


Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 366-367)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, looks yummy! When I first saw the photo over on Affectioknit i thought you were putting pancakes in gravy and thought that was gonna be an odd story! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. No steaming or boiling for the seitan before grilling it? I love that!

    ReplyDelete