I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

VEGAN RIZ À L'IMPÉRATRICE

[Vegan Bavarian Cream with Rice and Fruits - a cold dessert]

...Julia says that this is one of the 'grand old standbys of French cuisine'...and that it 'has no relation to the dreadful rice puddings of one's youth'...which I thought was funny...

...now...I've never been a fan of rice (or tapioca for that matter) pudding...I don't like bits of anything in my pudding...just smooth puddings for me...but the Man loves rice pudding...and we do often make it (like the puddings of our youth) with leftover rice...so this will be the first time I actually cook rice for a rice pudding...

...disclaimer...this is a really long post...
...so...the first thing I did was to get some aqua faba out of the freezer and mix that with some Besan (chickpea flour)...to make some vegan egg yolk...
...the you par-cook the rice...just sprinkle the rice into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes...
...then strain...
...in your casserole...bring some vegan milk - we used almond milk...
...vegan butter...we used Country Crock's Plant Based Avocado...
...and sugar...
...to a simmer on the stovetop...
...add the strained rice...
...cover with paper...
...and put in a low oven for 35 to 40 minutes...
...Julia says to use glaceed fruits...so I'm using these fruit cake fruits...
...and I'm going to add some raisins...because the Man likes raisins in his rice pudding...
...while the rice cooks in the oven...make a creme anglaise...more almond milk and sugar...
...some cornstarch...
...cook stiring constantly with a wire whisk...
...until thick...
...then off heat...add your vegan egg yolks one at a time...probably not really necessary as these vegan eggs are not going to 'curdle'...
...add your vanilla...
...and your fruits...
...mash some apricot preserves through a sieve and add that...I actually used peach because I didn't have any apricot...
...by now...the rice should be done...
...the milk mostly absorbed and the rice very tender...
...Julia says to add the rice to the custard...but I did it the other way around...I don't think it matters...both of mine were hot...and like I said...with the vegan egg yolks...I don't think the temperature matters that much...
...Julia says to use a cylindrical mold...and I got mine out...
...but decided to mold the pudding in individual cups...
...just filled them up...and put them in the fridge to chill...although I'm pretty sure the Man prefers his rice pudding warm...
...when the pudding has cooled...make some whipped cream...I'm just using aqua faba and sugar...
...and I'm still always amazed at the gorgeous stiff creamy peaks this makes...
...ready to serve...Julia says to use strawberry or raspberry sauce...
...and we're using raspberry...
...just unmold the custard on top of the sauce...
...I didn't think that was enough sauce...
...so I added some more...and topped with a huge dollop of vegan whipped cream...
...it really is an impressive dessert...a lot of trouble...but pretty...

Substitutions

Almond Milk for the milk
Country Crock Plant Based for butter
Besan and aqua faba for egg yolks
aqua faba for the cream


Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 601-602)

4 comments:

  1. Neat, but i agree, that was a lot of steps! And I know Daddy loved rice pudding with raisins, but I'm not a great fan. It's one of those "just OK" kind of desserts in my taste....oh well, to each his own so I'm glad the Man got something he likes! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love rice pudding and tapioca pudding if made well. My late mom made the best. Yours look very yummy also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't those glace' fruits the reason most people won't eat fruit cake? I'm wondering if chopped up dried fruits wouldn't work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nonna,
      ...that's funny...I tasted them and they don't really have much flavor...the main ingredient is orange peel which Julia specifically recommends...followed by cherries and pineapple...so just as candied fruit I didn't find them unpleasant...but I'm sure dried fruits would work just as well...and the Man would have preferred it with just raisins...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete