I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Vegan Gratin de Pommes de Terre Crécy

[Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots with Cream]

...so who doesn't love a nice creamy and comforting dish of scalloped potatoes...it's the same as the Vegan Gratin Jurassien...but Julia says the potatoes are interspersed with braised carrots...
...and since we finally got a new bag of carrots...I used up the last ones in this bag that I was hoarding...
...and I used Grandma's old Veg-O-Matic to make all of my slices the same...
...braised the carrots and a couple of spoonfuls of green onions in water vegan butter and salt...
...then I sliced the potatoes...also with the vintage Veg-O-Matic...
...buttered my casserole dish with some Earth Balance...
...and started layering the potatoes...
...and strained the carrots...
...and layered those with the potatoes...
...or interspersed as Julia says...
...and I made the Jarlsberg Melt again as the basis of the cream sauce...
...I made the regular recipe first...
...and then diluted that with another cup or so of almond milk to make a creamy/cheese-y sauce for the potatoes...
...and just poured that over the casserole full of potatoes and carrots...
...and baked until bubbly and browned on top...
...served with some grilled tofu...and the first frozen broccoli we've had in a quite a while...we were pretty spoiled with all of the fresh broccoli we had from Sysco...
...I enjoyed the addition of the carrots in the scalloped potatoes...

Substitutions

Earth Balance for butter
Almond milk for the cream
Jarlsberg Melt for the swiss cheese

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 525)

1 comment: