I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 551/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Vegan Quenelles aux Huîtres

[Vegan Fish Quenelles with Oysters]

...Julia doesn't introduce this variation of VEGAN QUENELLES DE POISSON at all...which I have made before...the method is exactly the same...you just stick a vegan oyster in the middle of each quenelle...
...you start with a little bit of minced shallots or green onion...
...and for the oysters...I'm just using some regular button mushrooms...I would have used 'oyster' mushrooms if I could find them here...haha...
...and in my 'outdoor' kitchen...I sautéed the onions...
...then added the mushrooms...
...and the white wine...
...and a nori sheet for some flavor of the sea...I just dropped it in whole...as I didn't want a lot of little seaweed particles...just the flavor...
...and then we had quite the DOWNPOUR out there...the wind was howling and the thunder crashing and the rain blowing in through the screens...sooo...
...I packed everything up and went back inside...and made the pâte à chou...
...and then you just roll a vegan oyster into each cylinder of the pâte...
...using two spoons...roll it into a little oval...
...and then you poach them in barely simmering water...
...until they are fully cooked and doubled in size...
...and then I made a quick white sauce...
...and poured it over the quenelles...
...and we served it with baked tofu and fried cabbage...
...they reminded me so much of Klub...it's a Scandanavian sort of potato dumpling that we had in North Dakota.....Vegan Potet Klub...(Kloob)...
...so it was good...nice poufy little stuffed dumpling pillows...

Substitutions

VEgan Butter
Vegan Oysters - we used button mushrooms sautéed with nori....
...and all of the subs for the pate a chou

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 188-189)

1 comment: