I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

VEGAN POT-AU-FEU - POTÉE NORMANDE

[Vegan Boiled Beef with Vegan Pork, Vegan Chicken, Vegan Sausage and Vegetables]

...Julia describes this as "a sumptuous family-style boiled dinner which will serve 12 or more, and always makes a great hit with guests"...

...I've been thinking about making this for a while...but was a little bit daunted by all of the Vegan Seitan meats I'd have to make in advance...the Vegan Chicken and Vegan Pork were made for other recipes and frozen...and the only 'commercial' vegan meat I used was the Field Roast Vegan Sausage...

...and for the vegan beef roast for this recipe...I was experimenting a little bit by adding some shredded cabbage to make it be a little bit more 'pullable'...
...so I made a seitan like the one from Tracy's Filet...and rolled it out pretty thin...
...then I steamed some shredded cabbage...this is just to make a little filler that will allow the seitan to separate or 'pull' apart easily...
...and I layered that over the seitan...
...and rolled it up...
...sliced it into rounds...
...and arranged them compactly together on a sheet of aluminum...
...tied it all up...
...and cooked it in broth the normal way for seitan...
...took it out...
...and let it cool a bit...
...and it really does pull apart like I wanted...
...now on to the recipe...
...I put my herb bouquet in my tea ball and stuffed it under the boiling vegan meats...
...added carrots onions and turnips...
...and let that all simmer together...Julia says to tie the vegetables up in cheesecloth...but I did not do that...and she says to simmer for 4 to 5 hours and I didn't do that either...as all of my seitan was already cooked...all I really needed was for everything to simmer together and develop some flavor and cook the vegetables...
...then you arrange the vegan meats on a platter...or Julia says you can serve it directly from the pot..." by spearing out the beef and placing it on a platter. Then he finds a sausage, and after that a big piece of pork. Finally, to wild acclaim, he brings out a chicken"...
...I just arranged all of the vegan meats on a platter...
...and all of the vegetables around that...
...and served it with a jug of slightly thickened cooking sauce for the gravy...but Julia says you can serve up to three different sauces with this...
...it is quite an impressive tray...and it was delicious...

Substitutions

Tracy's Filet for the roast beef
Vegan Chicken
Vegan Pork
Vegan Bouillon for the stock
Field Roast Vegan Sausage for the sausage

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 306-309

2 comments:

  1. That is quite the amazing dinner creation you've got there!! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole meal is incredible! I must do that! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete