I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

VEGAN SOUFFLÉ À LA VANILLE

[Vegan Vanilla Soufflé]

...I thought it was funny that Julia says that "A fairly quick operator can make any of them ready for the oven in 20 minutes."...I think I'm a fairly quick operator...and it took me more than 20 minutes...haha...but not much more...
...the very first thing you do...is prepare your ramekins...butter the entire inner surface with vegan butter...
...then sprinkle with sugar to coat...
...and then knock out the excess sugar...
...you start the sauce by beating the flour with a little bit of milk in a saucepan...
...until smooth...
...and then you add the rest of the milk and the sugar...
...and then you cook and stir until it thickens...she says it will be quite thick...and you stir it off heat for a couple of minutes to cool slightly...
...then you separate your eggs...haha...for vegan eggs...I put my aqua faba - egg whites in the mixer...
...and my yolks...Vegan Egg...mixed with water in a bowl...and you pour that into the center of the slightly cooled sauce...
...then you beat in the vanilla...
...the aqua faba amazes me every time...
...beat a little bit into the sauce...
...and then fold in the rest...
...bake in the middle of the oven...and when it has begun to puff...sprinkle the top with powdered sugar...
...serve immediately...so it's a really warm dessert...and the texture is like a slightly fluffy pudding...it was good...and once again...a little bit too sweet for my taste...and I should have remembered to reduce the sugar...by about half probably...

Substitutions

Almond milk for the milk...
Vegan Egg for the egg yolk
Aqua Faba for the egg white

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 614-616

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I don't recall ever making a proper souffle in my life. Love, K

    ReplyDelete