I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

VEGAN GNOCCHI DE SEMOULE AVEC VEGAN PÂTE À CHOUX - PATALINA

[Vegan Semolina Gnocchi]

...Julia gives this explanation for this dish using semolina...Italian gnocchi made of semolina with butter and seasonings. This French version with pate a choux gives the semolina a puff and a lighter texture. Semolina is farina, which in turn is the residue of middle-sized particles left over from the sifting of durum wheat, the type of wheat used for making macaroni.
...so...initially I thought I'd use the semolina flour we'd gotten for a bread recipe...but she specifically calls for the breakfast cereal...so that's what I used...
...first you'll need to make some VEGAN PÂTE À CHOUX...but just leave it warm in the pan...
...and then cook your farina...
...Julia gives specific instructions for cooking - until the cereal is thick enough to form a mass on the back of the spoon...not quite there yet...
...I think this will do for doneness...
...add some vegan cheese...
...and then beat in the VEGAN PÂTE À CHOUX...
...divide the dough on a floured surface...
...and roll into little logs...
...I went ahead and gave mine the little fork bars...but Julia doesn't specify doing this...
...poach in salted water...
...drain, and sprinkle on some more grated cheese or she says you can use a cheese sauce if you prefer...
...and then brown under the broiler...
...we just served it quite simply with spinach and baked tofu...
...I quite liked it like this...sauceless...
...they were definitely little fluffy pillows...

Substitutions

Earth Balance for the Butter
Almond milk for the water
Ener-G eggs for the eggs

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 183-184

2 comments:

  1. That does look yummy. I've never made gnocchi of any kind although I do like it. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks super yum. I'm quite intrigued, too. We've only ever made potato gnocchi. I had no idea there were so many varieties, though I don't know why this should surprise me!

    ReplyDelete