I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

VEGAN TOURNEDOS SAUTÉS AUX CHAMPIGNONS

VEGAN TOURNEDOS SAUTÉS CHASSEUR
[Vegan Filet Steaks with Mushroom adn Madeira Sauce]

...this is one of the recipes that has two titles...anything with mushrooms is Chasseur (Hunter)...Julia says it's a 'handsome presentation'...
...and it starts with some sautéed bread rounds...
...then you take some mushrooms and shallots (or green onions)...and sauté them in some vegan butter...
...and then I used the same pan and vegan butter to sauté the seitan steaks...I used Tracy's recipe for the filet...
...and then set that aside...I just balanced the toasted rounds on the edge...Julia says they will need to be reheated...but I didn't want it to get soggy...
...then you add some stock (I used vegan broth)...and tomato paste and boil rapidly...
...I freeze my tomato paste in little balls to be able to add just a bit when I need it...
...then I added the Madeira...Julia says to mix your arrowroot with this...but I'd already mixed mine with water...so I just added them separately...
...then I added my arrowroot powder mixed with a little bit of water...
...boil rapidly to thicken the sauce and let the alcohol evaporate...and add back the mushroom/shallot mixture...
...and then assemble...
...put the filet on top of the croustade...
...and cover with the sauce...
...and of course this was delicious...all of the ingredients work well together...and it's a nice rich sauce...

Substitutions

Tracy's Filet for the filet
...and Vegan Butter of choice for the butter
Vegan Bouillon for the stock
Vegan Bread for the bread

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 297-298

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. What were the "rounds"? pancakes? Did I miss something? Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind, I think I see now that is just toasted white bread cut in a circle!

      Delete
  2. The colour of the sauce is soooo perfect! I must do that! THank you!

    ReplyDelete