I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Vegan Sauce Béarnaise

[Béarnaise Sauce]

...there's not another word for Béarnaise apparently...because Julia uses it in the English subtitle for the recipe too...vut she says it's a Hollandaise sauce flavored with wine and vinegar instead of lemon...
...so that's what you start with...dry white wine and white wine vinegar...
...chop up a shallot or green onion...you only need a Tablespoon...
...and then add some Tarragon and salt and pepper...
...and then cook it down until only about a Tablespoon of liquid remains...
...and then Julia says to proceed as for the Sauce Hollandaise...which I have made before...both the traditional way...and in the electric blender...

...but this time...I'm using some of my homemade silken tofu as the base...
...adding the cold butter and the shallot/wine/vinegar mixture...and then the melted Earth Balance...
...for additional eggy flavor...I added some kala namak...
...and some nooch...not much of either though...
...then you return that to the pan to thicken...
...but mine was basically blended tofu and butter...so I wasn't sure it would thicken very much...so I added a couple of spoonfuls of plain flour...
...and it thickened up quite nicely...
...using my new birthday platter...I arranged a seitan roast...flanked with some broccoli and new potatoes...
...Julia suggests this sauce as a topping for broiled chicken...
...it was pretty and delicious...buttery and rich...

Substitutions:

for the egg yolks...a combination of silken tofu, nutritional yeast and kala namak...thickened with a little bit of flour
Earth Balance for the butter...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 84 - 85)

1 comment: