I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, April 5, 2010

VEGAN SAUCE HOLLANDAISE

[Hollandaise Sauce]


Since I was not using any egg yolks - I whisked up some flax seed goo - I know I've talked about it before - but it is certainly egg-like - actually more like the white part of the egg than the yolk - but I figured I needed some rich sort of slimy-ness in this recipe...

Luckily, I have a measuring spoon for that vague PINCH of pepper - and I used white not black...

...then I melted two Tablespoons of the vegan butter into the lemon and flax goo...

- only just melted...

...then I had to depart from the recipe quite a bit - as I had nothing to thicken the sauce - so I added a Tablespoon of cornstarch to a half cup of soymilk - whisked that together and added it to the lemon/flax-goo/vegan butter mixture...

...I cooked that until it just started to thicken...

...then I whisked in the rest of the vegan butter (this is a very buttery sauce) by driblets...

...the finished sauce was glossy and smooth - rich and lemony and very very good!

Original Recipe here:

Substitutions:
Vegan Margarine for Butter
Flax Goo for Egg Yolks
also cornstarch and soymilk for Egg Yolk for its thickening properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment