I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

VEGAN ARTICHAUTS BRAISÈS À LA PROVENÇALE

Artichokes are still plentiful in the grocery store - so I thought I'd whip up another recipe...

...and several hours later - I had another delicious and beautiful dish...

...first you sauté some onions...

...make your little bouquet garnis - I put mine in my tea ball...

...add some garlic...

Then halve the ARTICHAUTS AU NATUREL (detailed instructions of the preparation of the artichokes up to this point are in the link)...

...and remove the chokes...

...nasty old chokes...

...arrange in a baking dish and add wine, wine vinegar, and vegan bouillon...

...cover with parchment (Julia says waxed paper - but I prefer the parchment)...

...bake for about 1 1/2 hours - if you thought you were done at this point - you could be - the dish can be served as is...

...or it can be further embellished with tomatoes and potatoes...

...chop some tomato and sauté some potatoes...


...arrange two halves on a baking dish and sprinkle with the tomatoes and potatoes and bake until the tomato is cooked...

...Julia suggests that 'As they are rather messy to eat with the fingers, guests should be furnished with a spoon as well as a knife and fork, so the flesh may be scraped off the artichoke leaves'...

Substitutions:
only the vegan bouillon for the stock...

5 comments:

  1. oh, i thought you just put it in your mouth and pulled the husk out clean!! i guess that's too "countrified" - looks yummy, love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks so good. I wish I had several hours to prepare them. I will have to live vicariously through you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love artichokes. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do find the bouquet garni makes a difference. When I have had the herbs I make and freeze them. I use two bay leaves, parsley stalks and sprigs of thyme. Tied together with some string they freeze well.

    Artichokes grow perfectly well here in England, but it is not a vegetable we have taken to!

    ReplyDelete