I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

VEGAN TRANCHES DE JAMBON À LA CRÈME

[Vegan Sautéed Ham Slices — Fresh Vegan Cream Sauce]

...Julia calls this recipe "famous"...but says that it is made with a richer and more delicate sauce than the previous VEGAN TRANCHES DE JAMBON MORVANDELLE...and since I had some ham slices left over from our little Thanksgiving celebration here...I thought I'd use them up for a quick leftover type of a dinner...
...sauté the vegan ham slices in vegan butter and oil...
...in the same oil/vegan butter sauté some shallots...
...add the cognac and Madeira...
...Julia specifies using a wooden spoon here...but I was already using this silicone spatula...so I didn't change to a wooden spoon...

...and I stirred in the cashew cream that I'd whisked some Dijon mustard into...***ERROR ALERT***I was also supposed to stir in some tomato paste...which I totally had...not sure how I overlooked that in the recipe...but you are SUPPOSED to add some tomato paste as well...

...BUT...this sauce...lightly flavored with Dijon is delicious...!
...we served the vegan ham with just some frozen peas and VEGAN RIZ À L'INDIENNE - RIZ À LA VAPEUR...we had Julia's steamed rice with Mom on Monday...and she asked how I got it so perfectly fluffy...so I'm including the recipe here...it's how I always make rice now...and it turns out perfectly every single time...
...so IF you add the tomato paste...imagine a slightly rosy sauce here...
...this is really delicious...the mustard cream sauce perfectly compliments the slightly salty vegan ham...

Substitutions

Vegan Ham...this was just the leftover vegan ham that I made using TVP and VWG...
Cashew Cream for the Cream
Vegan Margarine for Butter - I used Earth Balance...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 398-399)

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a nice comfy-style meal. And I suspect the tomato sauce wouldn't have changed the flavor very much....love, K

    ReplyDelete