I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

VEGAN FLAMICHE - QUICHE AUX POIREAUX

[Vegan Leek Quiche]

Oddly Julia does not give any opening remarks to this recipe...
...so...you'll need some leeks...
...slice...and wash well...to make sure you get all the sandy bits off...
...add them to a saucepan with some salt...and vegan butter and boil gently for 20-30 minutes...
...meanwhile...for the vegan egg filling...I used Lovin' It Vegan's Quiche recipe...starting with firm tofu and cornstarch...
...nutritional yeast...I didn't add any other 'cheese'...
...turmeric...
...when the leeks boil...turn them down to a simmer...and let them cook until most of the liquid is evaporated...
...salt...onion and garlic powder...this is the only thing I would change...I would not add this salt as it was a little bit too salty for my taste...
...and you need the black salt (kala namak) for the egg-y flavor...
...vegan milk...I used homemade almond milk...but any vegan milk would do...
...olive oil...
...blend until smooth...
...you will need to make a crust...I used the VEGAN PÂTE BRISÉE...
...the leeks should be done...
...roll out your crust...I use my handy-dandy pie crust helper...
...this quiche plate was a wedding gift...I still love it...it's white...and simple design...and it's the perfect size...

...Ok fam...do y'all remember what Chantal bought at the little Mill Pond on Hwy 280 as a souvenir...that's right...a handmade quiche plate to take back to France for her Maman...
...just the right size...
...I'm not going to trim the edges as I like this sort of look 'rustique'...
...par-baked and ready for the filling...
...mix your leeks into your vegan egg mixture...and fill the crust...
...Julia says to top with Swiss cheese...but I'd already included nooch in the filling so I did not...
...I added my little crust protectors because it will be in the oven for a while and I don't want the edges to get too brown...
...you could also just cover the edges with foil...
...it baked up perfectly...
...we served the Vegan Flamiche with spinach and a salad...
...it was just a little bit too salty...but otherwise delicious...and I'll definitely make it again...the texture was perfect...

Substitutions

Lovin' It Vegan's Quiche recipe...with subs for the vegan eggs and cheese
...and Country Crock Plant Based Almond for the butter...in the leeks and the crust...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 151-152)

1 comment:

  1. No, I didn't remember what Chantal got for her mama - but I think I was probably too young and un-worldly to understand that little bit of irony. Looks yummy. Love, K

    ReplyDelete