I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Vegan Jambon Braisé au Madère

[Vegan Ham Braised in Madeira Wine]

...Julia says that "The combined flavors of Madeira and ham have always been a favorite in France."...and I must say that the amber tea coloured Madeira is not very easy to acquire here...
...first of all...I made the braising liquid...vegan beef bouillon, carrots, onions, Madeira, and oil...
...then I added a slab of vegan ham...I just whizzed some ham flavored tvp with some VWG in the foodprocessor...added a little bit of water to make a 'dough'...shaped it into a patty and did a preliminary cooking to brown it a little bit in the Griddler...added it to the stock and put it into the oven...until I was sure the seitan was completely cooked...
...when it's tender Julia says...
...glaze it with powdered sugar from a shaker...
...then put the braising liquid in a saucepan...and bring it to a boil...
...Julia specifies Arrowroot powder as the thickening agent as it won't 'cloud' the sauce...
...add some truffles or mushrooms and simmer for about 5 minutes...
...the sauce won't be very thick...
...the slice of ham...with its slightly sweet coating...
...spoon over the sauce...
...we served it with all the regular Thanksgiving sides...vegan mac-n-cheeze...green bean casserole...corn...and dinner rolls...and it was really really delicious...

Substitutions:

Vegan Ham...I just made a quick ham patty using TVP and VWG...but if you're more ambitious than that...I often make Tracy's Version...but you'll have to go to the WayBackMachine to get that...
Vegan Beef Bouillon
Vegan Margarine for Butter - I used Earth Balance...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 392-393)

No comments:

Post a Comment