I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Vegan Charlotte Basque

[Vegan Almond Custard with Chocolate]

Julia says that this is lighter than the Vegan Charlotte Malakoff because the base is a custard and no whipped cream is folded into it...
...first you need some vegan Ladyfingers...so make some VEGAN BISCUITS À LA CUILLER...I made them just a little bit firmer this time by adding more flour...as I didn't want to pipe them...
...but rolled them out and used my little fluted cutter to cut strips...and then cut those little rectangles the height of the straight sided corningware dish I'm using...and I also cut some little triangles for the bottom...as the bottoms (which end up being the tops) of my previous Charlottes have been a little bit messy...
...then I melted some chocolate in some strong coffee...
...to make a chocolate flavored VEGAN CRÈME ANGLAISE...
...then the Ladyfingers were done...
...I lined my dish with waxed paper...
...and neatly arranged the cookie wedges in the bottom...
...and lined up the little fluted Ladyfingers along the side of the dish...they're perfect...
...then I made the Vegan Crème Chantilly...Take Deux......that's the version using aqua faba...
...it turns out perfect every time...it's amazing...
...then you cool the custard sauce...add some pulverized almonds...and gradually beat in some almond extract (go very sparingly with this if you don't love the strong almond flavor)...and fold in the Chantilly...
...it makes a gorgeous chocolate mousse...
...pour it into the lined mold...layering in more Ladyfingers...
...cover with cling film and chill until set...
...then uncover it...it's not deflated at all...still just as mousse-y as ever...
...put the plate over the mold...
...and invert...it should come right out...
...peel off the waxed paper...
...Et voilà!...it's so perfect...
...I love how it looks...
...and it slices perfectly too...
...we had it with tea...of course...
...it's just delicious...chocolate mousse and ladyfingers...
...I'll definitely make this version again...so...so ...good...

Substitutions:

Vegan Margarine for Butter - I used Earth Balance...
Vegan Whipped Cream - I used whipped aqua faba...


Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 608)

1 comment:

  1. What a fun dessert! Good thinking to have the triangles as well as the rectangles. Looks yummy. Love, K

    ReplyDelete