I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 551/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

VEGAN ROGNONS DE VEAU EN CASSEROLE

[Vegan Kidneys Cooked in Butter— Mustard and Parsley Sauce]

...Julia says this can be a main course or an hors d'oeuvre...
...once again...first your sauté the Vegan Kidneys...I used the mushroom/walnut idea from this recipe Vegan Farce aux Rognons...and made that into a paste and added it to the veal seitan recipe...it makes a tender and tasty seitan...
...then you remove those to a chafing dish...
...next...you'll need some minced shallot...not much...
...and some lemon juice...
...I used the same pan...
...added some white wine...but you can use vermouth...which I never have on hand...
...then make some mustard butter...I used violife plant based butter...
...and then swirl that in a spoonful at a time...
...and then for some reason you're supposed to 'rapidly' cut the vegan kidneys into 1/8 inch slices...
...and add them to the sauce...heat them through but don't bring them to a boil...
...mince some parsley...and sprinkle that on top...
...we served ours as an hors d'oeuvre...with rounds of toasted French bread...
...it was good...and relatively simple...especially if you already had the seitan on hand...

Substitutions

Vegan butter...we used Violife
VEGAN GIGOT DE PRÉ-SALÉ RÔTI
black walnuts and mushrooms for the rognons

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 415-416

1 comment:

  1. Interesting dish - I don't believe I've ever eaten kidney in my life....I think I'd take your dish any day! Love, K

    ReplyDelete