I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

VEGAN GIGOT DE PRÉ-SALÉ RÔTI

[Vegan Roast Leg of Lamb]

...Julia gives a lot of information about the dead animal version of this dish...about 3 pages worth...with some graphic illustrations...and then several variations of stuffing...
...I used the exact same vegan seitan recipe that I'd used a few years ago for the VEGAN GIGOT EN CHEVREUIL...mixing up the dry ingredients...
...and then the wet...
...and then mixing them together...
...you know the regular way to make seitan...
...then I took some bamboo skewers to make the vegan 'bone'...
...and wrapped them tightly in foil...
...formed the seitan...
...and inserted the 'bone'...
...then wrapped the whole thing in foil...tightly...
...added a large carrot and onion (and some spring onions just because I happend to have some)...herbs and stock to a roasting pan...
...and then added the Vegan Gigot...
...and placed it in the oven...
...roasted for about 1 1/2 hours...
...it turned out perfectly...
...I made one of those little fluted paper thingies to go on the end of the vegan 'bone'...not sure what the purpose of that is...
...on the platter...
...and on my plate...we did just plain mashed potatoes because we were having the garlic sauce already...
...the vegan lamb was delicious...
...and I also liked the garlic sauce...

Substitutions

...Seitan for the Gigot...
...Vegan Broth - I used Washington's...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 332-333

...and for sides to go with the Easter meal...
...I roasted some cabbbage while the vegan gigot was cooking...I love cabbage cooked this way...it gets a little bit caramelized and it's so sweet and tender...
...and I steamed some asparagus...
...always better steamed than microwaved...

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I'll have to try cabbage like that - I don't think I've ever done it in the oven that way - I've stir-fried it to the point where it's carmelized and I really love the flavor. Love, K

    ReplyDelete