I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 551/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Vegan Jambon Farci et Braisé

[Vegan Braised Ham with Mushroom Stuffing]

...Julia says this about this dish..."A fine dish for an important dinner is ham sliced into serving pieces, reconstructed with a stuffing between each slice, then braised in Madeira.
For 12 to 14 people
"

...so since I don't need to server 12-14 people...I'll just be making the slices...but Julia actually cooks a huge chunk of dead animal for this...if you want to replicate that and serve a bunch of people I'd suggest Tracy's Vegan Ham Seitan...her blog no loner exists...but I have a copy of the recipe...
...shape it and bake it...then cut slices from the top half...hollow out the bottom half and stuff it with the stuffing...
...so just shape it into slices to begin with like I did...
...then mince some mushrooms and sauté them with some green onions...
...add some Madeira and boil rapidly until the liquid is almost gone...
...remove to a mixing bowl...
...then I blended up a vegan foie gras...I used most of the ingredients from the VEGAN FOIE DE VEAU...except I used lentils instead of tofu...which I think actually worked better...
6 oz of cooked green lentils
¾ cup red wine
2 Tbsp chopped black walnuts
2 tsp chopped black olives
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 ½ Tbsp vegan chicken bouillon
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
...it may be a little too wet...
...mixed that in with the mushrooms...
...and then stuffed the ham seitan slices...
...and rolled them up...and secured them with a toothpick...and then you braise it with more Madeira for about 1/2 hour...(the recipe says 2 1/2...but these are just thin slices...already cooked...adjust your time accordingly if you're making the whole ham seitan...
...served with Fonio (cooked in veg stock) and steamed broccoli and a salad...
...oh...I forgot to mention that I did not include the optional truffles...as I've learned from experience with several of Julia's recipes that I do not like truffles...or their 'juice'...so you can add them if you like them...but I don't think they would have improved this dish...and I thought it was just an odd combination of flavors...I guess my 'idea' of a ham dinner just doesn't stretch to Madeira flavored mushrooms...it was OK...

Substitutions

Tracy's Ham Seitan as listed above
the subs from the VEGAN FOIE DE VEAU
Vegan butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 394-395

No comments:

Post a Comment