I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Vegan Gallettes au Camembert

[Vegan Camembert Biscuits]

Julia says that "This dough may substitute for the usual pastry dough for tarts and turnovers." but I'm having them just as biscuits...they sound delicious...a nice cheeze-y biscuit...

...first...you'll need some vegan Camembert...I used the 'flavoring' from Joanne Stepaniak's recipe for Camembert Vegetables from The Uncheese Cookbook...but then used the 'cheeze' (it's agar based) for the Brie from the same book...the Camembert is more of a sauce...
...it turned out perfectly...
...it makes a pretty wheel of Camembert...
...and it's perfectly sliceable...we sampled some on crackers and it's delicious...you'll only need about 6 ounces for this recipe...
...you'll need some vegan cheese...although they're called Camembert Biscuits...Julia says you can use Brie or Liederkranz (I've never had that one) as well...some softened butter...the equivalent of 2 vegan eggs - I'm using Just Egg...just because I happen to have some this week...salt...pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper - I didn't use a full 'pinch'...along with some sifted all-purpose flour...
...I used a pastry fork to blend everything together...
...Julia says to "knead everything together for a moment to make a smooth and fairly supple dough. Knead in a tablespoon or so more flour if dough seems too soft."
...and then roll it out 1/4 inch thick...
...and Julia says to cut into rounds...but I used my old Tupperware heart shaped cookie cutters...a wedding gift from Mom...
...they're so cute...
...I always let my biscuits bake for a few minutes...and start to form a crust...and then I brush them with some Earth Balance on top...to help them brown...Julia brushes hers with egg...
...and here they are all nicely browned...don't they look sweet?...
...we had them with a side of VEGAN CAROTTES GLACÉES...and the Man's Ras el Hanout lentils...which are quite spicy...so I had a vegan horchata to drink with that...
...and these featherweight biscuits were the perfect accompaniment...
...the texture is perfect...
...they're delicious and I'll definitely be making this recipe again...

Substitutions:

Vegan Camembert...I used the 'flavoring' from Joanne Stepaniak's recipe for Camembert Vegetables from The Uncheese Cookbook...but then used the 'cheeze' (it's agar based) for the Brie from the same book...
Vegan Egg - I used Just Egg
Vegan Margarine for Butter - I used Earth Balance...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 198)

1 comment: