I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Vegan Charlotte Malakoff au Chocolat

[Vegan Almond Cream with Chocolate]

...Julia says to use the ingredients for the master recipe...VEGAN CHARLOTTE MALAKOFF AUX FRAMBOISES...but without the strawberries...because you'll use chocolate instead...
...I used Baker's...because that's what I had on hand...
...4 ounces...
...melted in a little bit of coffee...

Julia says to make the almond cream as directed in the master recipe...but fold the melted chocolate into it, and only 1/4 cup of orange liqueur...I did not use any orange liqueur...
...and then...if you can find them...you can use vegan store bought Ladyfingers...but if not...you'll have to make some VEGAN BISCUITS À LA CUILLER...and they really are delicious on their own too...
...and then I made the whipped cream...just aqua faba and a little bit of sugar...
...this is seriously always so amazing...and delicious...and cheap...and lowfat...
...then fold in the chocolate almond cream...because of the pulverized almonds...it's not perfectly smooth...
...but just fold it in a bit at a time...
...until it's all incorporated...it's so delicious...like a chocolate mousse...
...I lined the mold with a round of parchment...and then arranged my ladyfingers on top...
...and then carefully stood up a row of ladyfingers around the edge...
...and started carefully filling the mold...I didn't want the standing wafers to fall over...
...all done...and into the fridge...
...after a few hours of chill time...I cut off the tops of the standing ladyfingers...so that I could invert the mold...
...all pretty uniform in height now...
...a plate over the top and a quick flip...
...and it unmolded beautifully...
...and held it's shape quite well...I'm always a little bit worried that things like this won't set up properly...
...but it's really pretty...
...nice and round and tall...
...I sliced it with a pie server...and it stayed in a triangular shape without spilling...
...and it's so delicious...really...one of my favorite desserts ever...

Substitutions:

Vegan Margarine for Butter - I used Earth Balance...
Vegan Whipped Cream - I used whipped aqua faba...


Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 607-608)

No comments:

Post a Comment