I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Vegan Fonds Blanc

[Vegan White Stock - Vegan Veal Stock]

Julia says that these are classical stocks made with fresh ingredients. You can, of course, vary the proportions according to your pocket- book and store of leftover bones and meat scraps. These are all simmered in exactly the same way as the simple stock VEGAN FONDS DE CUISINE SIMPLE
...so you just start with a Mirepoix...carrots celery and onion...
...I left the skin on the onion...which was probably not a good idea...as the sauce wound up being darker than it should be...
...I used this Herbes de Provence blend and some garlic and bayleaf which I put in my tea ball...and some tamari for a little bit of umami...but again...I proabably should have left that out to get a 'whiter' sauce...Julia says to use the same vegetables, herbs, and seasonings as for the master recipe...
...I subbed mushrooms for the veal...and some Earth Balance...about 2 Tablespoons...
...and then you just cook that for a really long time...4 - 5 hours...
...the broth is not 'very' dark...but probably darker than it should be...
...I strained it into a large bowl to cool...
...I may have put too much 'colour' into this sauce...because Julia says...that it's used when you want to make a particularly fine white veloute sauce or soup....and I think this may be a little too dark for that...it's delicious though...and I think next time...I'll leave out the tamari and just use the mushrooms...

...but it's a really good tasting broth...

Substitutions

Button Mushrooms, tamari and Earth Balance for the veal

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 109

1 comment:

  1. Looks tasty. I'm too lazy, I usually just use a spoonful of bouillon....love, K

    ReplyDelete