I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

VEGAN CANNED MUSHROOMS

...this is one of a few recipes that Julia gives for improving the flavor of "CANNED" foods...the use of which was probably more common in the 60s when these books were written...

Julia says that Canned mushrooms will have more flavor in sauces or garnitures if you follow this procedure ...
...I...on purpose...got a couple of cans of canned mushrooms in my InstaCart shop...
...you start by sauteeing a spoonful of shallots or green onions in vegan butter without browning...
...then you add the mushrooms...
...and season with salt and pepper...
...add some optional port or madeira...I didn't have either so just used a Cabernet Sauvignon...
...cover and cook slowly for a bit...
...I just added a seitan cutlet...
...and served it over rice...it was quite tasty...and pretty simple...so...I'm sure Julia was right...the canned mushrooms were much improved by this procedure...

Substitutions

...Earth Balance for the butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 517

2 comments:

  1. I had actually figured this out by myself! I needed some mushrooms for a recipe one time which called for fresh mushrooms. But I didn't have any, so I basically just sauteed them a little while in butter and they were very good that way. The pan was a little hot and I recall that the mushrooms actually sort of explode a little bit, pretty odd. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like everything about this one! MMmmmm yum!

    ReplyDelete