I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Vegan Canard Braisé aux Choux Rouge

[Vegan Duck Braised in Red Cabbage]

...I had bought the ingredients for this recipe a little over a month ago...
...and then today I re-read the recipe...yikes!!!...3 1/2 hours...crazy...
...I had bought this red cabbage over a month ago...for this specific recipe...
...and I was happy that it was just fine in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator...all that time...cabbage keeps a really long time...
...Julia says to follow the recipe for VEGAN CHOUX ROUGE À LA LIMOUSINE - [Vegan Braised Red Cabbage with Red Wine and Chestnuts]...but we won't be adding the chestnuts or apples...
...but definitely adding the red wine...
...then Julia says when that is about 2/3 done...so about 2 1/2 hours into the cooking time...take it out...
...and add your vegan duck...and cook for another hour and a half or so...
...then cook the remaining liquid down into a sauce...
...and serve...
...pour your sauce over at the table...
...it's a pretty and colourful dish...
...Julia suggests an Alsatian Traminer for the wine...which, of course, we do not have...so we went with a simple red table wine...and I think it went well with the dish...
...it was good...but definitely a lot of time was needed...not too involved...just time...

Substitutions:

...Vegan Duck...(you could sub, baked tofu or seitan instead if you wanted - the duck might be hard to find....I used Companion brand vegan duck and I got it at an Asian grocery)...
Vegan butter - I used Earth Balance.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 280 - 281)

1 comment: