I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

VEGAN SAUCE BRUN

[Flour-based Brown Sauce]

...Julia says that this is the best of the 'group' BROWN SAUCES...and the one most nearly resembling demi-glace

...it is thickened with a brown roux...which must be cooked carefuly...slowly and evenly...
...you start with finely diced ham...so I used this TVP ham that I got at the SDA store in Asheville...
...add some finely chopped carrots, celery and onion...and cook for about 10 minutes...
...then you add some flour...
...and cook for another 10 minutes or so...
...watching carefully that it doesn't burn...but turns a nice nutty brown...
...then remove from the heat and add the broth all at once...
...whisk it in and immediately bring it back to a boil...
...beat in some tomato paste...I keep mine frozen in 2 TBS dollops...
...make an herb bouquet...half a bay leaf, some thyme and parsley...pretty simple...
...I put my herbs in my tea ball...of course...
...and then simmer, partially covered, for about 2 hours...
...correct the seasoning...mine was fine...and it didn't need any salt because both the broth and the vegan ham bits are salty already...
...transfer to a fine mesh sieve...
...and press the juice out of the vegetables and vegan ham...
..and the sauce is ready to use...
…served with grilled tofu, mashed potatoes and spinach...it was really rich and delicious...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter
Vegan Beef Broth - I used Orrington Farms
Vegan Ham - I used TVP country ham from the SDA store

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 67 - 69)

2 comments:

  1. wow, that looked too complicated!! glad it was good.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this sauce recipe>
    I want to share an article I read recently about vegan eggs that are made out of plant protein and there are some decent options out there :
    https://cruelty-free-lifestyle.org/vegan-eggs/

    ReplyDelete