I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

VEGAN GÂTEAU DE CRÊPES À LA NORMANDE

[Mound of Crêpes with Apples, Flambé]

...This recipe kindof reminds me of the Man's great-grandmothers Stack Cake...it's not a spice cake like that...but the execution is similar...

...first you need to make VEGAN CRÊPES FINES SUCRÉES...

...then you need to make VEGAN CRÊPES SOUFFLÉES

...then you can start this recipe...
...and I know you've seen me make Homemade Applesauce before...(probably more than once )
...and you want to let that cook for a while...
...because Julia says that it needs to 'hold itself in a fairly solid mass in a spoon'...
...then you'll add some cream...I used Silk Coffee Creamer...
...almond extract...
...and rum...Julia suggests dark...but we only had light...
...stir that all into the sauce...
...then using the batter for the Crêpes Soufflées...
..just make a mound of Crêpes...
...Julia suggests 10 - 12...but we stopped at 6...because that's how many our batter made...
..then you just start layering Crêpe and Sauce...
...another Crêpe...
...and more sauce...
...ending with a Crêpe...
...chop some almonds...I used whole ones because I thought they'd be prettier...then I completely forgot to add them to the mound...HAHA!
...sprinkle sugar on top...
...and then put the sugared mound into the oven...
...until the sugar on top almost begins to carmelize...
...and then pour over some warmed rum and set the liqueur aflame...
...we could see the flame...
...but it was light blue and difficult to photograph...
...and just cut portions from the mound as you would cut cake...
...it was delicious...light and fluffly...
...a pretty presentation...(even without the almonds)...
...then when I realized they were missing...I added them...
...so some of us had almonds and some did not...

...it was delicious both ways...

Substitutions:

Vegan Butter for the butter...
VEGAN CRÊPES FINES SUCRÉES
VEGAN CRÊPES SOUFFLÉES

Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 653 - 654

1 comment:

  1. interesting!! i didn't see the flame in the video, but i'll take your word that it was there. fun food!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete