I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Vegan Concombres à la Grecque

[Vegan Cucumbers à la Grecque]

...Julia says that...many "vegetables may be prepared à la Grecque. In each case, make a court bouillon..."

...I've made a couple of these variations...like Vegan Céleri à la Grecque...and celery is another vegetable that we don't usually eat cooked...I mean as a side dish...we often eat it cooked in stews and other dishes...

...I've made several versions of cooked cucumbers too...which is not a dish that I was at all familiar with before The Vegan Version...like VEGAN CONCOMBRES AU BEURRE
...so I gathered my ingredients for my court bouillon ...aromatic broth...
...and got that cooking...
...got out my cucumbers...
...peeled and sliced...
...seeded...
...Julia gives pretty specific instructions for the slicing...haha...
..."Cut die halves into f 2 - inch strips, then into 2-inch pieces. "
...toss with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt...
...then drain and simmer in the court bouillon for about 10 minutes...
...then remove the cucumbers...
...and take the remaining court bouillon...
...and boil it down almost to a syrup...
...and then pour that back over the cucumbers...
...we had the cooked cucumbers as a side dish for another version of vegan sweatbreads...I made several last week and I want to use them up...so there'll be another vegan sweatbreads recipe soon...
......unlike some of her other cooked cucumber recipes this one is served cold...which makes it better...haha...cooked cucumbers are still not my thing...but they weren't horrible...the sauce is salty and flavorful and goes well with the cucumbers...

Substitutions:

None...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 538-539

2 comments:

  1. Yeah....that's just a bit strange! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like salt sprinkled on a cold, raw cucumber. I wonder how I'd feel about a cooked one in a salty sauce....I admit I am intrigued, but doubt I'll give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete