I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Vegan Gratin de Pommes de Terre Provençal

[Vegan Scalloped Potatoes with Onions, Tomatoes, Anchovies, Herbs, and Garlic]

...this is what Julia says about this delicious casserole..."its full-bodied Mediterranean flavor goes widi roast lamb or beef, steaks, chops, or grilled mackerel, tuna, or swordfish. It is also good served cold. The potatoes need no other liquid than that rendered by the tomatoes as they cook together."
...so you start with some tomatoes and onions...just thinly sliced...Julia has you cook the onions first...but I just tossed them in with everything else...
...add some basil, thyme, pepper and garlic...
...layer in a casserole dish...
...I'm using capers as a sub for the anchovies...
...top with some vegan parmesan...
...Julia says the covering is optional...but since I didn't precook my onions and I wanted the trapped steam to cook those a bit faster...
...it baked up perfectly...and smells wonderful...
...we served this delicious cassserole with vegan meatloaf...mashed and peas...
...this was really really delicious...I'll definitely be making this again...

Substitutions:
Vegan Parmesan for the cheese
Capers for the anchovies

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 525-526

No comments:

Post a Comment