I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Glazed Orange or Lemon Peel

...this is one of the few vegan recipes in MtAoFC...and it's title is not in French for some reason...Julia says it provides a nice decoration and is easy to make...so I thought I'd make some in advance of the holidays and have it at the ready for decorating...

...she also says it keeps in the syrup for several weeks...
...so...get some perfectly unblemished oranges...organic is probably best as you'll be eating the skins...
...using a vegetable peeler...peel off just the orange part in strips...Julia says 1/16"...
...but I left mine rather large as I don't know how I'll be using them yet...I can cut them later...
...then simmer in water for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender when bitten....which I thought was an odd way to test...
...then drain...
...refresh in cold water...
...and dry on paper towels...
...then make the syrup...add some sugar and water to a saucepan...
...boil the sugar and water thread stage 230° F...(110° C)...and add some vanilla...
...I went ahead and cut some of the strips to 1/16...and coiled them in the bottom of the jar...
...and then I left the rest of the strips wide...
...and poured over the syrup...
...Julia says to let the peel stand in the syrup for at least 30 minutes...but I'll be using mine much later...Drain when ready to use.

...I did do a little taste test...and they are yummy...not sure what dessert they'll top this season...but I'll let you know...

Substitutions:

None...that hardly ever happens...but has happened twice recently...haha...

...recipe here...Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 587)

1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty and festive. Will be fun to see what you do with them. Love, K

    ReplyDelete