I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Vegan Quiche au Fromage de Gruyère

[Swiss Cheese Quiche]

...Julia says that this is just the QUICHE LORRAINE recipe with the bacon omitted and the cheese added...

...hop over to Affectioknit for the Gruyère recipe...
...so first...you'll need to make the VEGAN PÂTE BRISÉE and put it in the fridge to chill...
...mix up your quiche...I'm using Lovin' it Vegan's quiche recipe...
...and this is my beautiful Vegan Swiss cheese...
...Julia says 1/2 to 1 cup so...basically...as much as you want...
...I'm still using my handy-dandy Pie Crust Helper...from all those years ago...yep...the very same one...
...measured with the quiche plate...
...opened up one side of the Pie Crust Helper and flipped it on top of the quiche plate...
...and then just peeled off the other side...super easy and neat and no need for a bunch more flour to keep it from sticking...
...and into the oven to par-bake for a few minutes...
...following the recipe...I'm grating in some fresh nutmeg...I don't usually do this as the Man and I neither one like it very much...but I'm trying to like it more...so I'm adding it in this time...
...I mixed in about a half cup of the grated Vegan Swiss and then sprinkled the rest on top...
...it baked up nice and pouffy and egg-y...
...simply served with a salad...
...it was a delicious quiche...

Substitutions

Vegan butter for the butter in the VEGAN PÂTE BRISÉE
Almond milk for the cream and milk...
Firm tofu, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black salt (aka kala namak) for the egg mixture
Vegan Swiss Cheese...recipe here...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 151

2 comments:

  1. Very nice - lots of substitutions on this one! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...yeah...but vegan quiche is the BEST!...
      Love,
      T

      Delete