I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

VEGAN CRÈME AU BEURRE, À L'ANGLAISE

[Vegan Butter Cream III— with vegan custard base]

...This is the last of the section titled THREE BUTTER CREAMS [Trois Crèmes aux Beurre]...

...Julia says that "this final recipe is simpler to make than the preceding one with its sugar syrup" ...and the VEGAN CRÈME AU BEURRE, AU SUCRE CUIT one was such a surprise...it turned out so good and not at all what I was expecting...
...so you'll need to start with the VEGAN CRÈME ANGLAISE
...I added a few drops of lemon extract...since I'm going to ice some vegan lemon cupcakes with this...but Julia says to add 2 to 3 Tb kirsch, rum, orange liqueur, or strong coffee, OR, 1 Tb vanilla extract OR, 2 ounces (2 squares) melted, semi-sweet baking chocolate...so there are lots of options for flavoring...
...then Julia says "At once set saucepan in cold water and beat ...I do love her sense of urgency...haha...
...until custard has cooled to barely tepid..."
...then you get some softened vegan butter...I'm using the Country Plant Based Almond here...
...and beat the softened butter into the barely tepid custard by spoonfuls, using whip or beater...
...and then for a quick single serving treat...I often take a couple of spoonfuls of vegan cake mix...and just add some water to make a batter...and then microwave it...
...it turns out perfectly soft and moist...like the mug cakes that are popular...
...then I just iced the little cake with the custard-y/butter-y icing...
...it actually firmed up a lot in the fridge...it still looks mostly like custard here...
...I really liked this creamy icing...and it wasn't very difficult to make...

Substitutions:

flax seed goo for the eggs
almond milk for the milk
Vegan butter for the butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 683-684)

2 comments:

  1. Looks simple and yummy. I made a chocolate cake/chocolate icing for book club tonight so we're both in sync. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh, that looks like a winner! Yum!

    And the "sense of urgency" is pretty amusing, isn't it? That sorta thing would have stressed out a younger-me in the kitchen. Back when I knew so little about cooking...

    That cake mix trick is pretty slick!

    ReplyDelete