I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

VEGAN GÂTEAU À L'ORANGE ET AUX AMANDES

[Vegan Orange and Almond Spongecake]

...a little bit of prep work up front...you'll need the grated rind of one orange...
...I put it into a baggie so it wouldn't dry out or turn dark...
...and then peeled the orange and put it into the blender...as you also need the juice of one orange...
...whipped up some aqua faba and set that aside for the egg whites...
...and then I have my little niece helping me today...she's grinding up the almonds in the spice grinder...
...and then...like always...you mix everything together and fold in the beaten aqua faba...it made a pretty fluffy batter (and it was delicious too - one of the perks of vegan cakes is that the batter is safe to eat...haha)...which we put into a greased and floured springform pan...
...and here it is beautifully baked...
...it sank just a little bit right in the center...I think we may have checked on it too many times...Mom used to always say NOT to open the oven door while a cake was baking...
...our sweet niece chose this week's recipe...she said she wanted to make a 'fancy' cake...
...and she wanted it without icing...haha...it was delicious that way...

Substitutions

EnerG egg replacer for egg yolk
Aqua Faba for the egg white

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 676-677)

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun activity. I'm sure she is enjoying your company! Love, k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...yeah...remember Mom telling us not to jump around or open the oven when a cake was baking...I think we may have opened the oven too many times...haha...
      Love,
      T

      Delete