I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

VEGAN DIPLOMATE...or...POUDING DE CABINET

[Vegan Custard with Glaceed Fruits - Unmolded - a warm or cold dessert]

...Julia calls this a delicious and most classical French dessert..

...you'll need to start out with some VEGAN BISCUITS À LA CUILLER [Ladyfingers]...or if you can find vegan Ladyfingers you can use those...
...so I baked those...
...and lined the bottom of my mold...
...I'm using the candied fruits you can get at the grocery store around Christmas-time...
...I poured some rum over my glaceed fruits...
...then I poured some more rum onto a small dish...
...and dipped the Ladyfingers into it...
...then I made a custard using Vegan Egg for the eggs and egg yolks, and Silk Cashew/Almond for the milk...and I added about 1/2 teaspoon Agar-Agar to make sure that it would 'gel' properly...
...passed some apricot jam through a sieve...
...and we were ready for assembly...
...first over the ladyfingers in the bottom of the mold...I ladled some of the custard...and then I sprinkled the glaceed fruits...
...and spooned over some of the apricot sauce...
...then I lined the sides of the mold with parchment...I tried to do this beforehand...but I absolutely could not get the paper or the ladyfingers to stand up...so with a little bit of custard in the bottom it's easier to make everything stay put...
...and so you just continue layering...ladyfingers...custard...sauce...glaceed fruits...
...until you reach the top of the mold...now Julia says to trim the tops of the ladyfingers...and again...I'm going to wait until after the custard sets to do this step...because they are too 'disturbable' right now...
...set the mold in a pan of boiling water...
...and put it into the oven for about an hour...I'm sure with a vegan custard that this is totally unnecessary...
...but it does come out of the oven nice and firm...and it looks really pretty...
...so now...I trimmed the tops of the ladyfingers...
...let it cool (you can serve it warm or cold)...then run a knife around the mold and turn it upside down...
...remove the wrappings...
...and all of the paper...to reveal a nice firm custard...
...surround the custard with the Vegan Sauce aux Fraises...
...and at the table I poured some more sauce over the custard...
...it sliced and served beautifully...
...you can see the pretty coloured bits of fruit throughout the custard...
...and then I poured even more sauce over mine...
...and although it was very pretty and Christmas-y...I found it rather odd...
...the fruitcake flavor and the strawberry flavor were not very complimentary...so that was a little bit disappointing...and I probably won't be making this exact version again...

Substitutions

Vegan Egg and Agar-Agar for the egg
Silk Cashew/Almond for the milk
...and all of the subs for the VEGAN BISCUITS À LA CUILLER [Ladyfingers]

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 612-613

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, the ingredients seem like they would go well together. Oh well, on to the next one! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive, i continue to admire you vegan variations. Hope your keeping well.

    ReplyDelete