I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Vegan Sauce Vin Blanc

[Vegan Hollandaise with Vegan White Wine Fish Fumet]

Julia says 'When a hollandaise type of sauce is to accompany vegan filets of fish poached in white wine...the vegan fish-poaching liquid is boiled down to a concentrated essence, or fumet and is used in place of lemon juice as a flavoring for the sauce.'
...so...the first thing you need to do is make the vegan fish fumet...
...I just broke up a piece of Nori and added it to some white wine...I used Sauvignon Blanc...and as it becomes very concentrated...I'd recommend a nice mild white...
...and then you just boil that down...
...you start with a cup and then reduce until it's just a couple of tablespoons...it replaces the lemon juice in the hollandaise...and it's pretty concentrated in both acidity and 'fish'-y-ness

...I'm using Julia's electric blender method for making the sauce...so I'm just adding everything to the blender...
...first the vegan egg yolks...I'm using Vegan Egg for that...haha...
...three tablespoons for three vegan egg yolks...
...and then for the liquid part of the vegan yolk...I'm using almond milk...
...then add the vegan fish fumet...I poured it through a small strainer just to make sure I didn't get any little green flecks in...add a pinch of salt and blend this vegan egg mixture until nice and smooth...
...I used the Country Crock plant based butter - the almond variety...and just melted it in a jug in the microwave...
...and then with the blender running...you just drizzle the melted vegan butter into the mixture...
...until everything is nicely emulsified...
...for the poached vegan fish filets...I baked some extra firm tofu in white wine and more of the nori sheets...
...and then just poured the sauce over...
...it is a very flavorful sauce...very rich and buttery...

...there's another version with cream...so I'll be making this again at some point...and I will probably not use the Vegan Egg for the yolks...but something milder...maybe aqua faba...again...

Substitutions

Nori sheet boiled in white wine for the fish fumet
VeganEgg and Almond Milk for the egg yolks
Country Crock Plant Based Almond for the butter

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 84)

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting, I've never thought of using a creamy sauce with fish...love, K

    ReplyDelete